Just because it’s dull outside does not mean your skin has to be too…
There comes a time every year when the dark days of winter literally seem to drain the light from our skin. For gone is the golden light of summer that lends skin a soft, hazy glow – instead the low, cold rays of winter make us seem pale, ashy and lacklustre.
But remember, a few simple tips and tricks is all it takes to reignite that glow for the rest of winter. Here’s how to make this happen…
1. Reincarnate: Dead skin cells loitering on the surface of skin actually reflect the light differently – resulting in a complexion that looks unbecomingly dull. So bring skin back to life with a gentle product such as ELEMIS Papaya Enzyme Peel, which uses fruit acids to gently lift away dead cells and restore your glow.
2. Brighten eyes: If eyes are the windows to our soul, they’re also an important marker of how our skin is perceived overall. And there’s nothing like a dark under eye shadow to drain the rest of your face. Luckily our multitasking ELEMIS Pro-Radiance Illuminating Flash Balm tackles lines, dehydration and shadows all in one swipe. For while the cooling applicator soothes and de-puffs, Apricot Kernel oil nourishes weary skin – leaving optical blurring powders and a subtle peachy tint to airbrush away those dark circles. Magic.
3. Eat back your glow: When the winter freeze bites, it’s easy to snuggle into a cosy jumper and sneakily snack on biscuits, chocolate or other naughty treats too often. Yet as a collagen slayer, all that sugar is only going to deaden that complexion further. Instead, stock up on biotin: a nutrient found in avocado, eggs and salmon that helps increase cell turnover – bringing fresh, perky skin to the surface.
4. Make light of your make-up: Once you’ve prepped your skin to be smooth, supple and more hydrated, add the finishing touch to your rediscovered glow with the professional artist’s favourite tip – the ‘outdoorsy flush’. The key is to use a cream blush that’s less drying on winter skin. Then steer clear of summer’s corals and pinks – and instead pick a shade that’s to simulate the appearance of blood having rushed to the surface after a brisk walk in the cold air. Blend it over the cheeks in a downward motion. Pat some clear lip balm onto the tops of cheekbones to add a balmy texture that looks as if you’ve been lit from within.
5. Look down: The secret to a seamless glow is having one that doesn’t stop at the jawline. Add a hint of toasty warmth to your neck and décolleté and you’ll add to the effect of overall luminosity. ELEMIS Total Glow Self Tanning Cream scores double brownie points for both hydrating skin and lending it a gentle, honeyed radiance.